What can i say, Japan has ruined me for all ramen that’s not from the teeny tiny streets, inside a low ceiling restaurant, where I’d be found hugging a bowl of salty, sweet slurpy ramen. Just the best. By no means have I mastered the true craft of ramen making but I must admit, I do make a mean bowl that tastes somewhat similar and is most certainly super nourishing.
Lucky you; I’m sharing this beautiful bowl of creative Japanese inspired wizardry:
CREATE, MAKE, SLURP AND SMILE – It’s goooood.
- 2 Fresh garlic cloves
- 1 fresh red chilli
- 1 shallot
- 1 tsp bone broth concentrate
- 5 cups of boiling water
- 3 tbsp Miso paste
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp coconut Aminos
- 3 tsp fresh root ginger
- Cracked black pepper
- 2 tbsp coconut milk + 1/2 cup of water
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- Your choice of noodle – here I use chickpea noodles
- 60grams Ground pork
- 1 tsp Chinese 5spice
- 1/2 tsp Miso paste
- Fresh spring onion
- Chilli flakes
- Black sesame
- Asian Mushrooms
- Shoyu egg – x1 egg + 1tbsp coconut Aminos + 1 cup of cold filtered water
- Grab a large cooking pot and spoon bone broth concentrate and 5 cups of boiling water to the pan and place heat on a low heat to allow the broth the sit and simmer.
- Add finely chopped red chilli, crushed garlic, finely chopped shallot, 3 tbsp of miso paste, 3 tbsp fish sauce, 2 tbsp coconut Aminos, 3 tsp freshly grated ginger, salt and pepper to the simmering broth.
- Allow to sit and simmer on the lowest possible heat for 3 hours.
- SHOYU EGG: Soft boil an egg – place an egg in boiling water for 2mins – immediately submerge into cold water for 10mins. Remove egg from water and peel egg shell away. In a cup add 1tbsp of coconut Aminos and fill the remaining cup halfway with cold water, carefully drop the soft boiled egg into the liquid, over time the egg will absorb the coconut Aminos – given how strong you want the flavour add more or less coconut Aminos.
- At around 2.5hours add 2 tbsp of coconut milk + 1/2 cup of water to the broth plus 1 tbsp of sesame oil.
- Start to prepare and cook up your veggies and garnishes
- Prepare the pork mince by salting, marinating with Chinese 5 spice and 1/2 tsp miso paste. Cook on a medium heat and set aside until your ready to serve onto the top your ramen bowl.
- Have a taste of you ramen broth and when you feel it’s close to ready, turn off the heat and boil up your noodles in salted water. Once cooked, drain, serve and pour ramen broth over the noodles and place your garnishes, shoyu egg and additional veggies to your bowl.
Eat and enjoy