Soft and sweet pillows of perfection! I bet for most, the idea of making this Italian masterpiece may sound too time consuming and complex, but I can assure you it really is rather easy. Read the simple steps below to create your own.
Ingredients: serves 2
Sweet poato gnocchi
- 1/4 Flour – Here I have used Cavassa flour, ordinary white bakers flour will work perfectly too, I don’t however recommend nut flours and they don’t hold together when boiling
- 1 Egg
- 1 medium cooked (skin off) sweet potato
- 1 tsp garlic powder (optional)
- 1 tsp Coconut or olive oil to pan fry
Coconut cream tomato sauce
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 3 tbsp fresh organic coconut cream
- 1 handful of fresh basil
- 1 garlic clove
- Black pepper
- Pinch of salt
- 1 handful of fresh spinach
- Chilli flakes – depending on how hot you’d like this, add or leave out the chilli flakes
- To finish Extra virgin olive oil PLUS your choice of chosen veggies – here I have button mushrooms and green beans
Method: Sweet potato gnocchi
- On a high heat place water into a saucepan, salt water and boil your peeled, medium sweet potato – leave to boil and soften for around 10mins
- Once cooked strain and leave aside to cool
- Measure and place flour, egg, salt and garlic in a food processor (this step can also be done by hand, placing ingredients into a bowl and mixing with a wooden spoon or spatular.
- Add cooked sweet potato into the food processor and blitz ingredients until a dough consistency has formed – if the dough seems sticky add an additional tbsp of flour and re mix.
- When all ingredients have combined, dust your worktop with a sprinkle of flour and begin kneading the dough into a soft ‘play dough’ like consistency. Roll out into one long sausage shape and then with the back of a fork, lightly press down onto the dough, scoring the gnocchi from top to bottom as shown in the photo above.
- With a knife cut inch sized parts so that each piece of gnocchi is a similar square shape.
- Heat a salted pan of water and bring to the boil
- Very gently drop your gnocchi one at at time into the boiling water – when the gnocchi have risen to the top they are ready to scoop out and drain.
- Once all gnocchi are out of there salt bath you can start to heat a frying pan (medium heat) with you tsp of chosen cooking oil
- Without overcrowding the pan, allow you gnocchi to cook and brown in the pan, when they look golden and crisp – remove them and set to one side.
Coconut cream and tomato sauce:
- If you have a smoothie blender and or food processor place all ingredients (accept your chosen vegetables- these you will cook separately) inside and blitz up until smooth.
- Place tomato sauce into a cooking pot and simmer for 5 mins
- Add gnocchi to the sauce and on a very low heat and simmer for a remaining 5mins whist you either cook up your veggies and or wash up.
- Serve up with veggies and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil onto the sauce. ENJOY!